COVID-19 support across the public sector
As the public sector and its leadership face continued challenges in the COVID-19 pandemic, the NLC and our partners who support people across the country have refocused our offers of support. Below, we have curated a selection that is particularly helpful to CEOs.
Cross-sector events and reports
The Public Leaders Report 2021
The Public Leaders Report 2021 shared lessons from across the public sector. The London Ambulance Service wrote about the “whole organisation” approach to the pandemic, starting with their leadership. General Sir Gordon Messenger shared his key leadership lessons from crisis, and seven CEOs reflected on the pandemic and what they have learned in the first of our series of Portraits of Public Sector Leaders.
National Leadership Centre podcasts
These NLC podcasts share inspiring leadership stories of cross-sector challenges. Janice Nicholson shares her story of improving support for young people in care, and Donna Hall shares her experience leading the Wigan Deal, an innovative reform of local government.
Army leadership research
The Centre for Army Leadership asked a range of people across the public sector to reflect on their leadership experiences during the pandemic. Their report on leading through crisis holds many important insights for every CEO.
Every part of the public sector is focusing on supporting staff and community wellbeing during the pandemic. Some particularly useful resources for CEOs include:
- The Associate of Chief Executives (a body supporting those leading Arms Length Bodies) published this blog by the CEO of CIPD, Peter Cheese in November 2020, and it is still useful today. He reflects on the importance of wellbeing for senior leaders, including actions you can take immediately.
- The NHS Leadership Academy published an Executive Suite of support for senior leaders. Health staff can access all the support, and everyone can watch the videos about why it is important to prioritise wellbeing.
- The National Fire Chiefs Council summarised research by Kings College London and the Open University. The report, focusing on the mental health of emergency responders, has lessons for all CEOs.
- The Local Government Association collated these helpful resources about supporting the wellbeing of staff, applicable beyond Local Government.
- NHS Providers have provided a list of great innovation happening across the NHS to support staff during the pandemic.
The Centre for Army Leadership – as well as publishing the report on leadership across the public sector – also produce resources on crisis management.
The Associate of Chief Executives published this crisis management checklist by Delivery Associates to help CEOs have good, targeted discussions with their teams.
COVID-19 resource hubs
For more resources and inspiration, have a browse through these hubs of information and guidance from different parts of the public sector.
- The College of Policing and the National Police Chiefs Council jointly published this hub.
- The Education Foundation Trust’s COVID-19 hub
- Universities UK COVID-19 hub
- The Association of Ambulance Chief Executives updated their guidance on reducing conveyance to hospitals with COVID-19 examples.
- The NHS Leadership Academy Executive Suite
- NHS Providers COVID-19 hub
- National Fire Chiefs Council COVID-19 hub
If you would like more information or if you would like to promote your team’s work on this page, please get in contact with the NLC.