NationalLeadership.gov.uk is provided by the National Leadership Centre (NLC), part of the Cabinet Office.
Cabinet Office is the data controller the pages starting with www.NationalLeadership.gov.uk. Where these pages link out to services provided by other departments, agencies and local authorities (like www.gov.uk), their own privacy policies will apply. These are managed separately by each service provider.
A data controller determines how and why personal data is processed. For more information, read the Cabinet Office’s entry in the Data Protection Public Register.
What data we collect
The personal data we collect from you includes:
- questions, queries or feedback you leave, including your email address if you contact the NLC
- your Internet Protocol (IP) address, and details of which version of web browser you used
- information on how you use the site, using cookies and page tagging techniques
We use Google Analytics software to collect information about how you use NationalLeadership.gov.uk.
Google Analytics stores information about:
- the pages you visit on NationalLeadership.gov.uk
- how long you spend on each NationalLeadership.gov.uk page
- how you got to the site
- what you click on while you’re visiting the site
We do not collect or store your personal information through Google Analytics (for example your name or address) so this information cannot be used to identify who you are.
Why we need your data
We collect information through Google Analytics to monitor how you use the site. We do this to make sure the site is meeting the needs of its users and to make improvements on an informed basis.
We also collect data in order to:
- gather feedback to improve our services
- respond to any feedback you send us, if you’ve asked us to
- allow you to access NLC services and make transactions, where relevant
- monitor use of the site to identify security threats
The legal basis for processing personal data in relation to site security is our legitimate interests, and the legitimate interests of our users, in ensuring the security and integrity of NationalLeadership.gov.uk.
The legal basis for processing all other personal data – where you provide it – is that it’s necessary to perform a task in the public interest.
What we do with your data
The data we collect may be shared with other government departments, agencies and public bodies. It may also be shared with our technology suppliers, for example our hosting provider.
We will not:
- sell or rent your data to third parties
- share your data with third parties for marketing purposes
We will share your data if we are required to do so by law – for example, by court order, or to prevent fraud or other crime.
How long we keep your data
We will only retain your personal data for as long as:
- it is needed for the purposes set out in this document
- the law requires us to
Children’s privacy protection
Our services are not designed for, or intentionally targeted at, children 13 years of age or younger. We do not intentionally collect or maintain data about anyone under the age of 13.
Where your data is processed and stored
We design, build and run our systems to make sure that your data is as safe as possible at all stages, both while it’s processed and when it’s stored.
All personal data is stored in the European Economic Area (EEA). Google Analytics data may be transferred outside the EEA, but this cannot be used to personally identify you.
How we protect your data and keep it secure
We are committed to doing all that we can to keep your data secure. We have set up systems and processes to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure of your data – for example, we protect your data using varying levels of encryption.
We also make sure that any third parties that we deal with keep all personal data they process on our behalf secure.
You have the right to request:
- information about how your personal data is processed
- a copy of that personal data
- that anything inaccurate in your personal data is corrected immediately
You can also:
- raise an objection about how your personal data is processed
- request that your personal data is erased if there is no longer a justification for it
- ask that the processing of your personal data is restricted in certain circumstances
If you have any of these requests, get in contact with the NLC.
Links to other websites
NationalLeadership.gov.uk contains links to other websites.
Following a link to another website
Following a link to NationalLeadership.gov.uk from another website
Changes to this policy
If these changes affect how your personal data is processed, the NLC will take reasonable steps to let you know.
Contact us or make a complaint
Contact the NLC if you:
- have a question about anything in this privacy notice
- think that your personal data has been misused or mishandled
You can contact the NLC on:
You can also contact our Data Protection Officer (DPO):
Data Protection Officer
The DPO provides independent advice and monitoring of our use of personal information.
You can also make a complaint to the Information Commissioner, who is an independent regulator.
Information Commissioner’s Office
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Last updated 29 January, 2021.