The Network of Senior Leaders
The National Leadership Centre is connecting senior leaders from across every sector and region, in order to help improve public services.
The National Leadership Centre has created a network for the most senior leaders in public service. Its purpose is to connect people from across every sector and region, in order to help improve public services. The public service leaders in the network include:
- Chief Executive Officers (CEOs) in the National Health Service, including NHS Trusts, Ambulance Trusts, and Clinical Commissioning Groups.
- University Vice-Chancellors
- Heads of large Further Education Colleges and Academy Chains
- Local Authority CEOs
- Police Chief Constables
- Fire Chiefs
- Civil Service Permanent Secretaries and Director Generals
- Three star Military officers
- CEOs of large Housing Associations
- CEOs of large Arms Length Bodies and Regional Transport Authorities
Within these categories, membership depends on the scale of an organisation, amount of public funding and how many citizens it serves.
Research shows that the higher ranking a leader becomes, the more potential there is for that person to become exposed and isolated in their role. Supporting leaders to build cross-sector connections gives them the opportunity to share ideas, ask for help from their peer group, and work together to tackle strategic problems that need a multi-agency response.
Events across the country
The NLC brings leaders together through national, regional and small group events. This allows peers to make time, outside formal governance or partnership structures, to work together to address the most complex and pressing problems that they face.
National Leadership Forum 2020
The National Leadership Forum 2020 brought together around 400 Chief Executive-level leaders from across the public sector for the first time ever.
Attendees heard from high-profile expert speakers on leadership and systems thinking, including:
- Cabinet Secretary Sir Mark Sedwill
- Head of Amazon in the UK Doug Gurr
- Mayor of Tulsa G.T. Bynum
- England Men’s Football Manager Gareth Southgate